Friday 21 August 2015

On Trip Advisor's Advice...

We have now booked our hostel stays for the beginning got our adventure... 
I've added an ever-growing list of things I want to do, which I will continue adding to over the next few weeks:

Singapore
We liked the cute, compact look of Hotel Kai in Singapore with funky holes in the walls for all the little bits and bobs you need, like a hairdryer, kettle, toiletries etc. We will be staying here for 2 nights, to break up the LONG flight!

  • Anyone who knows me knows how fussy I can be over food. I'm gonna be brave and attempt to EAT 
- 'Carrot Cake' or Chai Tow Kway, a fried dim sum dish of radish, egg spring onion and garlic

From blog.burpple.com via Google Images


- Prata, pancake served with curry

- Bean curd with dough sticks, it's smooth   and looks a bit like yoghurt. I recently discovered that bean curd and tofu are the same thing and the fried dough sticks remind me of churros so can't be that bad! And it's smooth so that's the most important thing!

- Chwee Kuehs rice cakes, a steamed rice cake with various toppings

- Dumplings, small pieces of dough wrapped around a filling


  • Cloud Forest - a garden in the sky essentially, I want to catch a sight of their national flower the Vanda 'Miss Joaquim' or Singapore Orchid
From DeZeen.com via Google Images
I'll get my own photos soon!



  • Pulau Ubin Island - you can catch a ferry over to what is described as the last 'kampung' or village, as life would have been like in the 1960s
From panaramio.com via Google Images

  • Little India - this corner of town was one a colony set up by Indians who were prisoners of the British Raj. When they were released many chose to stay in the area and now is filled with all the colours, sounds and smells of Indian culture.
From Expedia.com via Google Images


  • And we definitely can't leave without trying a Singapore Sling cocktail! I think having it in the famous colonial hotel Raffles would make it taste that much sweeter!



New Zealand
As well as having a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence someone from work recommended the Ponsonby Backpackers hostel in Auckland, saying it was in a great location with super helpful staff, lets hope she was right! And apparently they have FREE PANCAKE BREAKFASTS on Fridays :)We've booked a total of 4 nights here to settle in, check out the local area and hopefully acclimatise to the jet lag before hiring a camper van to tour around the rest of the North Island of New Zealand. Our itinerary has yet to be decided so any helpful hints would be appreciated!


I've been researching like mad, using both my Rough Guide book and Will's Lonely Planet



  • Food again... 
- got to have a try of the famous 'Fergburger', although by the looks of things I probably won't be able to finish it off!

From can.com via Google Images


- Fush and Chups, we've got to compare - surely they can't be as good as the British version?!

- Sauvignon Blanc! And lots of wine tasting at lots of wineries!

- I want to experience a traditional (or as less touristy as I can get!) Hangi steamed Maori feast


From inz.maori.nz via Google Images

  • Napier, a city preserved in the art deco era, will definitely indulge my love for a good period drama!
From telegraph.co.uk via Google Images

  • Rotorua - described as a 'geothermal wonderland' in my book

From raidho.com.br via Google Images


  • Lake Taupo is the country's largest lake and I just discovered that it is the size of Singapore!

From greatlaketaupo.com via Google Images


  • Cape Reinga - where the spirits of the Maori are said to leave the island and Ninety Mile Beach, which is actually 64 miles long
From stokedforsaturday.com via Google Images

  • No trip would be complete without a tour around Hobbiton!! Soundtracks and hairy feet at the ready!

From hobbitontours.com via Google Images


And this is just a small section of the North Island! 

Any suggestions welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment